Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: THEY GOT TO BE KIDDING -- Skip DVD ads go to jail?

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Sat, 04 Mar 2000 14:42:36 -0500

Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2000 07:56:20 -0800 (PST)
From: "Carl M. Kadie" <kadie () eff org>
To: farber () cis upenn edu
Subject: Skip DVD ads go to jail?

Dave,

C|Net reports that the new Disney Tarzan DVD does not allow users to
skip over 4 minutes of commercials.
  http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1007-200-1563949.html

Even worse, anyone who found aw way to skip over the commerials could
be committing a federal offense. Even in their own home, with their
own player, and a DVD that they bought.

I asked a cyberlaw mailing list (cyberia-l) if it would it be a
violation of Federal Law to circumvent Disney's use-restrictions.  The
consensus is that, unless the judges change their minds, a
commercial-skipping DVD player could violate the Digital Millennium
Copyright Act.  (See http://www.eff.org for more on the legal cases.)

- Carl
p.s. Feel free to forward this.

Carl Kadie -- I do not represent EFF or my employer; this is just me.
 =Email: kadie () eff org =