Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Well, CBS got it /half/ right...

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Sat, 04 Mar 2000 06:47:00 -0500

Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2000 22:33:21 -0800 (PST)
From: John Wharton <jwharton () netcom com>
To: farber () cis upenn edu
Subject: Well, CBS got it /half/ right...

Dave--

Pardon the rant, but one of your recurring topics in the past relates to
the inability of the news media to convey some of the more subtle
nuances of high-tech stories.  Could be the problem is deeper than we
realized -- that there's little effort to assure that even the simplest,
most self-evident facts are correct.

Case in point:  On CBS Network Radio hourly news broadcasts this
morning the news anchor read a report on Thursday night's Republican
presidential debate.  His report included a statement to the effect
that 'of the three candidates, only radio commentator Alan Keyes was
actually present.  Candidates Bush and McCain took part in the debate
via separate remote satellite feeds.'

(I didn't record the original broadcast, but the above 'quote' is as
close to verbatim correct as I was able to jot down at the time.)

Now in point of fact, Bush and Keyes were both, of course, present in
the L.A. Times auditorium, while McCain joined the group via satellite
from St. Louis.  That fact was painfully clear to anyone who watched
even a few minutes of the live broadcast itself, or the several hours of
CNN analysis and commentary after, or the evening local TV news: Bush
and Keyes stood at podiums, paced around, jostled with each other and
"played the audience", while McCain appeared -- Max Headroom-like -- as
a talking head on a TV monitor propped where his podium would have been.

(For that matter, anyone who saw the morning papers should have known
this from photos accompanying the debate reportage.  See, e.g., p.16A of
Friday's San Jose Mercury News.)

And yet CBS Network Radio told the world Bush was not there.  (Later
broadcasts corrected the story, acknowledging earlier false reports.)

What does this mean?  Never mind how the story was misreported in the
first place; to err is human.

But the fact that this report made it all the way to the air suggests
that through the entire CBS news production process -- the reporting,
the writing, the editing, the fact checking, the reading of the story by
the anchor -- the story never crossed the desk of anyone who had
actually watched even a snippet of the story he was reporting on.

Fascinating.  News broadcasts of record, prepared by amateurs, based
(apparently) on hearsay.  What hope is there for accuracy in more
technically complicated stories?!?

    ><sigh><

  --John Wharton

PS: Incidentally, I'm writing this as commentary on the media, not in
defense of "Dubya".  I personally agree with David Letterman, that
George Bush looks like he could turn out to be a colossal boob.  And I
highly recommend Molly Ivins' recent book ("Shrub") for insight on the
man's utter lack of scruples or depth.