Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Re: WHEN people can easily copy anything digital, who's going to make $100 million movies?

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2000 11:25:02 -0400

From: dakin () nationalpost com
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2000 11:12:04 -0400
To: farber () cis upenn edu

 > >From: "Gillmor, Dan" <DGillmor () sjmercury com>
 > >To: "'farber () cis upenn edu'" <farber () cis upenn edu>
 > >
 > >http://www.mercurycenter.com/svtech/columns/gillmor/docs/dg061100.htm
 > >
 > >WHEN people can easily copy anything digital, who's going to make $100
 > >million movies?

William Gibson spoke last week at the TEDCity (www.tedcity.com) conference
-- the Canadian version of the Monterey, etc. TEDs -- and, among other
things, spoke about how he's trying to develop a new piece of fiction
inspired by the example of Napster. (His son is a great Napster user and
recently introduced dad to it.) He suggested cultural content producers
may be heading back to an era when patronage was the means by which they
supported themselves

Here's a bit from a piece that ran in our paper:
-----
"We're at the end of a 90-year window where it was possible to make money
selling recorded music," Mr. Gibson said.
Seeing a future where the Napster model is extended to writing, movies,
and any other cultural content that could be digitized, Mr. Gibson said
people will soon not be able to sell consumer units of intellectual property.
For a new work of fiction, he has been trying to imagine a method of
marketing such works.
"I find myself trying to come up with alternative models. Mind you, I'm
lucky: Mine don't have to work," he said. "As far as I can tell, you're
left with patronage."
----

Full story at:
http://www.nationalpost.com/news.asp?s2=national&s3=reporter&f=000609/
313072.html

David Akin / Senior technology Reporter
National Post / dakin () nationalpost com
AOL Instant Messenger: DavidAkin2
VOX: 416.383.2372 / FAX: 416.383.2443
300-1450 Don Mills Road
Don Mills / Ontario / CANADA / M3B 3R5