Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: I lied when I said it was the last word re - tempest in a teapot -- a note from the author I streonglyy endorse

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2000 10:31:57 -0400

Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2000 07:22:19 -0700
To: farber () cis upenn edu
From: Mark Laubach <laubach () inconvenient net>
Subject: re: tempest in a teapot

Dave,

I read with some disappointment the finality of the statement
"technologically infeasible".  The real message I was delivering
should also have the words "at this time" appended to that statement.
Yes, the short term look ahead is that the soon to be off-the-shelf
cable technology does not support ideal open access. However, with
some planning we could move towards a technology platform in all
broadband systems that does support open access.   In the mean time,
we may be able to bridge the gap (this is not a well needed gap...<g>)
with less than ideal open access solutions.

What became clear to me in the preparation for the paper was the
inconsistency of any shared definition of "open access".  Therefore,
I developed my own ideal open access model in the paper and focused my
discussion and conclusions based on that model.  I had hopes that it
would be recognized that this country needs a shared consistent
definition, so I prodded the point as best I could.  Everyone
really has their own definition in their minds, we really need to
avoid that.  There should be one shared mindset definition of open
access. The caveat is that definition to technical delivery, it will
take some years to get there.

We are very quickly approaching an age in the world, let alone this country,
where we will have four different forms of broadband access "last mile"
technologies making themselves available to the home: concentric pair,
twisted pair, wireless, and fiber optical.  I personally would like to
avoid, where possible, having a separate broadband interconnect attached
to my home just to access an additional services or change services or
provider. The time is now to start laying that groundwork.

Yours truly,
Mark