Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: A positive view on Whose Pal Is PayPal?

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2000 16:09:35 -0400

From: "Mark Palatucci" <toochie () coopcomp com>
To: <farber () cis upenn edu>
Subject: RE: more on  Whose Pal Is PayPal?
Dave,

I have now seen two posts on IP regarding the negative aspects of the PayPal
service - I feel compeled to offer some positive comments.

Paypal has been an incredibly useful service for me and my business. Pretty
much everyone I know in the valley uses it and it makes person to person
transactions extremely easy. For my business, PayPal offers direct payment
from within a site, making micropayments extremely easy. It offers a
significantly lower merchant charge than that of pretty much every credit
card company. Personally, I'd prefer to have only one company (PayPal) with
my credit info, rather than every site I'd like to purchase something from
know.

not dormant, but rather actively used. PayPal verified my address through
the mail and I received $5 for adding a credit card to my account.
Regardless of the purpose and/or "guise" of adding credit info, this is more
secure than just instantly mailing a check to someone who has received
money. In addition, the policy will discourage people from just using it as
a check mailing service - which is in their best business interest.

PayPal is what it is - and it is something I have found to be extremely
useful.

Also, one of the people behind X.com is Elan Musk who went to Penn in the
early 90s. Perhaps you had him as a student?

-=|mark