Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: more on Whose Pal Is PayPal? [note comment re single letter domaine at end]

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2000 08:03:20 -0400

Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 10:37:52 -0700
To: farber () cis upenn edu
From: Simon Higgs <simon () higgs com>

At 07:00 AM 7/26/00 -0400, Dave Farber wrote:

I've had a run-in with Pay Pal courtesy of Commission Junction, the
affiliate advertising company. Commission Junction provides advertisements
which you can put on your web pages, which pay either commission on sales
or click-thru's (or both). Commission Junction were sending a check to us
every month. The checks didn't bounce and life was happy. Then, for some
unexplainable reason, Commission Junction informed us that, instead of
sending us a check, they had deposited the amount they were going to send
us into Pay Pal and that we needed to create an account on Pay Pal to
receive the money.

So, unhappy, but thinking this could maybe work (e-commerce <groan>), we
logged into Pay Pal - only to discover that Pay Pal would not release the
money to us until we had given them a credit card number. So now Pay Pal
owe us the money from Commission junction, and they want a credit card
number before they will send us the money. No thanks. They Pay Pal claimed
that they were using the credit card information to validate the mailing
address to send the check under the guise of a fraud prevention act.
Highly dubious. I know of no-one else who wants a credit card number just
to mail me a check.

In the end, since Commission Junction had violated their own terms and
conditions by doing this, they still continue to mail us the check
themselves every month.

And since we were *FORCED* to create the Pay Pal account by Commission
Junction, I expect most of the 2.4 million accounts to be long since
abandoned. I have no use for it.

Two other things to note:

1. A fake web site (www.paypai.com) was set up to steal Pay Pal names and
passwords:
http://www.msnbc.com/news/435937.asp

2. www.paypal.com, redirects you to X.COM. A single letter domain name
taken from the RESERVED single letter domain name pool at IANA. No one
wants to explain, or be accountable for, how they got the domain name. And
no-one at ICANN wants to make the situation equitable to all by releasing
the other single letter domains. But that's a whole other can of worms...