Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Re: U.S. lawyers mull commission to set Internet rules

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2000 14:45:52 -0700

Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 19:40:32 -0700 (PDT)
From: Doug Masson <dmasson () well com>
To: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>

``It's as if we've landed on Mars and we're constructing a commercial
and business setting,'' he said. ``We have to establish new rules of
engagement and we have to get people used to dealing with those new
rules.''

The assumption that the Internet is primarily an instrument for commerce
is fairly disturbing. The Internet is a tool for people to communicate
with one another. If that facilitates commerce, great, but let's not put
the cart in front of the horse.