Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: U.S. lawyers mull commission to set Internet rules

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 17:22:08 -0700

Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 23:44:48 +1000 (EST)
From: David Goldstein <goldstein_david () yahoo com au>

Hi all

A story on an American ABA, the American Bar Association, and one of
their committees have released a report suggesting a multinational
commission needs to be created to set global Internet rules. There's
also a story from Wired at
http://www.wired.com/news/business/0,1367,37487,00.html, but both are
from Reuters. The report is available at
http://www.kentlaw.edu/cyberlaw/docs/drafts/draft.rtf. The report is
very long, close to 200 pages, but double line spaced.

Cheers
David

 U.S. lawyers mull commission to set Internet rules
http://www.mercurycenter.com/svtech/news/breaking/merc/docs/070170.htm

NEW YORK (Reuters) - A study of cyberspace legal issues released by
an American Bar Association committee Monday suggested a
multinational commission needs to be created to set global Internet
rules.

The two-year study, which was released at the ABA's annual meeting in
New York, examined a range of topics including consumer protection,
privacy, banking, securities, taxes and gaming.

The report also reviewed how regulatory agencies in the United States
and abroad must change to adapt to a new world of electronic commerce
that is not dependent on physical location.

The report's conclusions have not been adopted by the ABA. Industry
leaders were expected to offer formal comments on the report on July
17 at the London session of the ABA's annual meeting.

``Anyone doing business in cyberspace needs to know what laws to
obey, whether it be a question of what taxes are due and where, or
what consumer protections apply to the sale of their products or
services,'' Thomas Vartanian, chair of the ABA Global Cyberspace
Jurisdiction Project, told a news conference.

He said rules were needed to maximize the efficiency of electronic
commerce and said government cannot write and approve laws fast
enough to keep up with the changing technology.

Vartanian said the study underscored the limited ability that any one
state or nation may have in bringing greater certainty to cyberspace
and thus the need for a multinational commission that could work with
governments to establish rules.

``It's as if we've landed on Mars and we're constructing a commercial
and business setting,'' he said. ``We have to establish new rules of
engagement and we have to get people used to dealing with those new
rules.''

The study offered a menu of solutions a global commission could
undertake. Among the suggestions was the creation of a cybertribunal
and voluntary industry councils to develop private sector methods of
resolving e-commerce disputes.

Another suggestion was that global industry regulatory authorities be
encouraged to reach agreement about how laws will be applied to
financial products and services offered in an electronic environment.