Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Serious threat to intellectual property

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 19:09:36 -0400

From: "Joel Orr" <joelnorr () hotmail com>
To: farber () cis upenn edu
Cc: eliattia () attglobal net, noaattia () hotmail com

Dear Dave,

My friend, architect Eli Attia, has been through some shocking litigation,
in which judges may have wiped out a major part of the basis for
intellectual property. He has asked the Supreme Court to hear the issue;
an answer is expected in a few weeks.

Since this issue touches ALL intellectual property, I thought the IP list
might be interested. Here is the request for signatures that he sent to
fellow architects.

Warmly,
Joel Orr

The U.S. Court of Appeals has deemed architectural design solutions ˆ the
concept design ˆ as unprotectable by U.S. Copyright Law.

If this decision is permitted to stand unchallenged, it is reasonable to
believe it will eventually pollute the rights of all creative fields.

On May 25th, 2000, I submitted a petition to the U.S. Supreme Court to
reverse this ominous decision.  In fact, the Supreme Court is going to
first decide whether the issue is even important enough to be reviewed at
all, a decision that statistically has only a one-in-200 chance of a
positive outcome.

The creative community in general, and the architectural community in
particular, can dramatically improve these odds by expressing the
importance of clearly defined copyright protection of architectural design
solutions to the practice of architecture.

In its decision, the U.S. Court of Appeals fully acknowledged that my
design for the $1 billion New York Hospital project was copied, even
traced, by HOK - the largest architectural firm in the country - but
concluded that concept design drawings are "general" and "preliminary" and
therefore not protected by copyright law. (See note)

In this decision the Court suggested that the copyright law might not even
protect Frank Lloyd Wright's "preliminary sketches" of the facade of the
Guggenheim Museum.

The Court of Appeals distinguished my drawings from the drawings of other
architects who had succeeded in their copyright claims by pointing out
that the drawings of those other architects were more detailed
construction drawings.

It is inconceivable that the architectural concept design, which
represents the core of creativity in architecture, is not copyrightable,
while the technical construction drawings are.

This case, which is about the heart and soul of architecture, was decided
without a trial.  The Court of Appeals overhauled the architectural
practice without a jury, without the aid of direct testimony and
cross-examination, and without the aid of expert witnesses.

Please add your voice to the following statement and help reverse the
decision that places architects‚ design solutions in the minefield of
abandoned and unprotected work.

Sincerely,

Eli Attia

Note:  Design drawings and models such as those that I prepared for New
York Hospital include all that the copyright law describes as protectable
architectural work:
"An architectural work‚ is the design of a building as embodied in any
tangible medium of expression, including a building, architectural plans,
or drawings.  The work includes the overall form as well as the
arrangement and composition of spaces and elements in the design, but does
not include individual standard features."  17 U.S.C. § 101.

STATEMENT

An architect's design solution - concept design - is the core of
creativity in architecture and must qualify for copyright protection.

An architect's concept design drawings and models comprise the essence of
the architect's creative work. They represent specific solutions to
specific design problems and cannot be defined as "general" and "preliminary".

It is crucial that the Supreme Court clearly defines the protection that
the Copyright Act affords architectural work.  This will serve to prevent
a potentially devastating encroachment on the rights of creative and
innovative architects, thereby preserving inspiration, innovation, and
progress in architecture and urbanism.

name    occupation      date    signature

Please return this signed statement to my office as soon as possible