Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: more on Among the Inept, Researchers Discover, Ignorance Is Bliss

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 05:06:06 -0500

Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 11:30:07 +0200
To: farber () cis upenn edu, geoff () iconia com
From: Peter Hajba <skaven () remedy fi>

From: the terminal of Geoff Goodfellow [mailto:geoff () iconia com]
Sent: Wednesday, January 19, 2000 2:03 AM
To: Dave E-mail Pamphleteer Farber
Dr. Dunning, a professor of psychology at Cornell, worries about this
because, according to his research, most incompetent people do not know
that
they are incompetent.

        And, as it is said in the end of the article:

And faced with incompetence, social norms prevent most people
from blurting out "You stink!" -- truthful though this assessment
may be.

        - I'd like to add that this is a bit of a cultural thing. In
        Finland, for example, people are said to be very blunt and
        to the point. If someone sucks, he does get told that he
        sucks. Well, not quite so bluntly, but the threshold to do
        so is lower on Finns than in other cultures, I've noticed.
        The same applies somewhat to Germans.

        I suppose that this does have an effect on a culture's
        overall competence. Partly it contributes to depression and
        low self esteem, but I bet it also helps to weed out many
        cases of incompetence.

        Yours (an IP list member),

-= Peter Hajba
   Finland