Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Time to Push Japan's Telecom Policy Reforms

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2000 04:24:39 -0500

Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2000 10:28:03 +0900
From: Shumpei Kumon <shumpei () glocom ac jp>
To: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>

Dear Dave,

I have written an essay explaining my thoughts on US-Japan
telecommunications policy, particularly the ongoing debate over
interconnection and access fees.

I believe the current discussion of interconnection and access in
Japan focuses too heavily on issues related voice telephony.
Rather, we should be concentrating our efforts on policies that
encourage faster up-take of Internet --flat rate access comes to
mind--, broadband access through DSL line sharing and IP telephony.

The essay, "Time to Push Japan's Telecom Policy Reforms", is online
at <http://vox.glocom.ac.jp/opin/telref1.html>

I hope you will share the URL with your IP list.  I would like to
begin some kind of public dialogue on these issues, IP might be a
good way to spark interest.

Kind regards,

Shumpei

Executive Director
GLOCOM, International University of Japan
FAX:+813-5412-7111