Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Star Ledger articled -- my home twon newspaper

From: farber () cis upenn edu <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2000 14:07 +0000

[ I promised my self I would not send out any more CT articles (me as Chief Tech) but this one is from my "home town"
newspaper and has some cute rememberances.

BTW I never called my self the father of the internet and in fact specifically said there were too many Fathers. But
the press is the press. Other than that it is a good fun article. djf]

Farber the father of the Internet

01/09/00

By Kevin Coughlin

STAFF WRITER

Being chief technologist for the Federal Communications Commission is a
little like being a champion jigsaw puzzler. It's not enough to know all
the pieces of the nation's electronic tapestry; you have to know how they
fit together, too.

So David Farber would seem an ideal choice, a big-picture guy ever since
his boyhood at Lodi High School -- where he dreamed of a career in
cosmology, the study of how the universe began.

"But I had a teacher who said you can't earn a living that way," the Jersey
City native recalls with amusement.

Dubbed "The Paul Revere of the Digital Revolution" by Wired magazine,
Farber shelved the Big Bang and helped create the Internet instead.

The gadget-slinging professor will spend the next year on leave from the
University of Pennsylvania as an adviser to the FCC on everything from
Internet telephone disputes to carving up precious radio airwaves.

If anyone can sort it all out, colleagues say it's the 65-year-old Farber,
whose lengthy resume includes Bell Labs, Xerox Data Systems and the Rand
Corp., a defense think-tank.

"Dave comes as close to a Renaissance scientist as one can get," says Hal
Raveché, president of the Stevens Institute of Technology in Hoboken, where
Farber earned his engineering degree in 1956.

http://www.nj.com/business/ledger/e237cb.html