Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: RE: Author of DeCss Arrested

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 17:23:44 -0500

From: "Carter Page" <carter.page () BuildPoint com>
To: <farber () cis upenn edu>

Professor Farber,

The issue is not copyright, but the right to perform technical review and
analysis and to develop tools to that end.

The people who designed DVD screwed up, and they are trying to fix their
technological failures with a legal bandaid -- more like a legal
sledgehammer.  I hope a million people download a copy of DeCCS to their
hard drives to show how futile and outdated this sort of action is.

Don't get me wrong.  I think DVD is great, and I am no friend to software
pirates.  But we're going to be in trouble if this sets precedent and every
piece of software has to be assessed for its potential application to the
commission of a copyright crime.  Really the ultimate software pirate's tool
has to be the Internet.  Do we outlaw that too?

Today feels like a good day to send in my donation to the EFF...

- Carter, UPenn '96