Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: RE: Author of DeCss Arrested

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 15:04:32 -0500

From: "Chris Allbritton" <callbritton () edit nydailynews com>
To: <farber () cis upenn edu>

Dave,

this is a horrible trend that seems to be accelerating--namely the
privatization of ALL knowledge. It seems that copyright laws are being used
not as an incentive for artists to produce new work, but revenue streams for
multinational corporations. I can't imagine this is what the framers had in
mind when they wrote that clause into ye olde Constitution.

I enclose portions of a (copyrighted) story that appeared in Saturday's
NYTimes on this subject:

The Artist's Friend Turned Enemy: A Backlash Against the Copyright
By PAUL LEWIS

Shakespeare was great at writing plays but lousy at inventing plots. So he
borrowed them.

"Romeo and Juliet," for instance, was lifted from "The Tragicall Historye of
Romeus and Juliet," a 1562 translation of a tale by Matteo Bandello, an
Italian writer, soldier and monk. "Julius Caesar" came out of Sir Thomas
North's 1579 translation of Plutarch's "Lives of Nobel Grecians and Romans."

Nobody sued for breach of copyright because there wasn't any. By and large,
the work of artists, inventors and scientists was available for others to
copy, improve or improvise on at will.

Of course, that hasn't been true the last couple of hundred years. The idea
of a copyright -- to establish personal ownership of artworks, ideas,
techniques and other intellectual property -- was included in Article 1 of
the United States Constitution. In 1989 Americans took out 95,537 patents;
in 1998 the number reached 147,521 and 72,395 more were issued to
foreigners.

In 1998 Congress extended existing copyright protection for an additional 20
years. Major beneficiaries were corporations like Disney, whose copyright on
Mickey Mouse, for example, was to expire in 2004 but has now been extended
through 2023.

Since then criticism has been building in the academic world, with many
arguing that the growing privatization of knowledge will threaten
traditional intellectual and artistic freedoms.

"Industries and governments always favor strong intellectual property
protection; academics tend to favor weaker protection," said Robert P.
Merges, an expert on intellectual property law at the University of
California at Berkeley. "If you took a poll of American academics, you'd
find most believe the knowledge grab has gone too far."

This year a group of Harvard University law professors asked the United
States District Court for the District of Columbia to declare the Copyright
Extension Act of 1998 unconstitutional. They argued that it violated
guarantees of free speech by reprivatizing works that would otherwise have
become public property. They also said it breached a constitutional
requirement that copyright laws "promote the progress of science and useful
arts."

"Extending a dead author's copyright won't encourage him to write another
book," said Lawrence Lessig, one of the Harvard professors bringing the
case. "Would Shakespeare have written 'Romeo and Juliet' if he had to get
permission from Bandello and pay royalties?"

<I wish I could include more, but alas, I would be running up against fair
use laws. But I can probably include a little more...>

While some of the fastest growth in copyrights has been in the field of
computer software (where the number of patents granted is expected to
increase to 22,500 for 1999 from 1,300 in 1990), companies are increasingly
patenting such innovations as methods of doing business.

Amazon.com, the on-line bookseller, for example, has patented its "one
click" sales system, allowing customers to place new orders with a single
press on the computer mouse. And priceline.com has done the same for
"reverse auctions," which enable buyers to name a price and find a seller.
Applications for such "business method" patents have risen 70 percent this
year, according to the United States Patent and Trademark Office.

Critics say that the current laws on intellectual property may shrink the
pool of freely available artworks and ideas from which artists and inventors
often draw their inspiration.

In "Shamans, Software and Spleens: Law and the Construction of the
Information Society" (Harvard University Press), James Boyle of American
University argues that the present system overemphasizes the rights of the
romanticized author at the expense of "the public domain necessary to give
the magpie genius the raw material she needs."

<The "romanticized author" these days is too often a faceless corporation.
To grant these immortal bodies with scads of money and power the same rights
as (relatively powerless) individuals is a travesty, one that extends far
beyond the issue of intellectual property. But another well-made point from
the article:>

Ronald V. Bettif, a communications professor at Pennsylvania State
University, writes in his book "Copyrighting Culture: the Political Economy
of Intellectual Property" (Westview Press): "The consequences of expanded
intellectual property rights are always the same: the continuing enclosure
of the intellectual and artistic commons.

"More and more knowledge and culture are being privately appropriated and
submitted to the logic of the marketplace."

<I only wish I could include a link to the article but it's buried in the
premium archives now. Hm. That seems to prove my point even more. Anyway,
the continuing corporatization of so many aspects of our lives threatens to
erase the cultural and intellectual commons that allow people with vision to
move society forward. Instead we seem content to place that vision in the
hands of the 'free market,' which doesn't hold the common good as a value,
but instead seeks--by law--to maximize shareholder value. In cases regarding
intellectual property, shareholder value is antithical to a free and open
society.>

Cheers,
--
Chris Allbritton
Technology Reporter -- New York Daily News