Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: OK people, how do they do this (if they do) DVDCA and the Big Lie

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2000 17:47:31 -0500

Only way I can see is if dvd and writeable dvd have different pre "burnt"
designations

ps copy me for IP

From: "Gillmor, Dan" <DGillmor () sjmercury com>
To: "'farber () cis upenn edu'" <farber () cis upenn edu>

Dave, the lead lawyer for the DVDCA told me flatly this is untrue. He said
if you make a copy of a DVD to another DVD disk, the second disk would not
play in a DVD player. I don't understand how this can be so, as it's just a
copying of binary files, but he was emphatic. Can any of your readers point
me to an industry source that is specific on which is the case?

Dan Gillmor, Tech Columnist
San Jose Mercury News
750 Ridder Park Dr.
San Jose, CA 95190