Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: IMPORTANT ISSUE Re: Recent Internet Attacks and Critical Infrastructure Protectio n

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2000 07:46:00 -0500

[ I know and hope this starts a debate . I will summarize comments and
package them for distribution. This is a VERY IMPORTANT ISSUE djf]

From: "Baker, Stewart" <SBaker () steptoe com>
To: "'farber () cis upenn edu'" <farber () cis upenn edu>,

Dave,

I like Mike and Jim, but this cut-and-paste reissue of their old paper seems
to be intended to dodge the hard question that CDT and its friends should be
answering after the recent distributed denial of service attacks on CNN and
other sites.

The fact is that most of the recent DDOS attacks could have been prevented
or made easier to handle if there were better authentication of machines on
the Net.  Forged addresses are at the center of much of the mischief.

So why don't we have better authentication on the Net?  Well, one reason is
that CDT and similar groups have made it their business to attack companies
that introduce authentication to the Net.  They've encouraged the FTC and
Congress and European privacy bureaucrats to investigate and intimidate any
company that introduces authentication technologies they consider
politically incorrect.  Remember their effort to boycott Intel and Microsoft
for the processor serial number and the GUID?  CDT and its allies obviously
believe that anonymity on the Net needs to be protected.  Maybe so, but not
at any price, and these DDOS attacks are only a small part of the price
we're going to pay if we continue to let CDT politicize the deployment of
authentication technology.

Stewart Baker
Steptoe & Johnson LLP
phone -- 202.429.6413