Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Re: Recent Internet Attacks and Critical Infrastructure Protection

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 18:24:07 -0500

To: farber () cis upenn edu
Subject: Re: IP: Recent Internet Attacks and Critical Infrastructure
Protection
From: "Perry E. Metzger" <perry () piermont com>
Date: 11 Feb 2000 18:14:28 -0500

BTW, re: the recent spate of Internet attacks:

A core problem no one is talking about is the continuing negligence of
many, if not most, ISPs in deploying ingress filtering to block
packets with forged source addresses as they enter the network.

Were it not for this negligence, attempts at flood based attacks would
be trivial to trace to their sources and would be easily
blocked. Because ISPs frequently do not do the needed filtering,
however, it is easy to inject packets with forged source addresses
into the network. None of the attacks of the last few days would have
been practical if the subverted systems used to launch the attacks had
been behind such ingress filters.

Since ingress filtering is done only on the periphery of a network, it
is actually quite practical for an ISP to do -- large scale backbone
routers need not be involved, and even fairly high bandwidth clients
can be filtered with equipment available today.

Given the current trends at ISPs, I am fearful that the only thing
that will get this situation to change in the near term is a spate of
negligence lawsuits by large companies aimed at ISPs that fail to
filter their customer networks, resulting in successful attacks from
said networks. An argument could be made that ISPs have a reasonable
duty to block forged traffic, given how much harm it can cause in the
network. I hate to see "social change through lawsuits" because once
the lawyers are launched there often are no recall codes, but I don't
see what else will work at this point.

Perry