Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: from Intel RE: IBM&Intel push copy protection into ordinary disk drives

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2000 06:35:10 -0500

From: "Gelsinger, Patrick P" <patrick.p.gelsinger () intel com>
To: farber () cis upenn edu

Dave -

As a regular reader of your IP reader, I would apprecaite you diseminating a
correction to your mailing on Dec 22.

Content protection technology misinformation generates negative web-press
coverage:

An article on The Register website "Stealth plan puts copy protection into
every hard drive" contains false information that the 4C's (Intel, IBM, MEI,
Toshiba) Content Protection for Recordable Media (CPRM) is to be applied to
all PC hard drives.  It is misinterpreting a specification for use of CPRM
with the Compact Flash media format (which supports either semiconductor
flash memory or IBM microdrives) probably because Compact Flash uses the
same command protocol interface as standard PC harddrives.  The technology
is neither intended nor licensed for use with PC harddrives and is optional
even for the supported media types (flash memory and microdrives). John
Gilmore, a noted privacy and consumer advocate, has picked up the article
and further propagated the erroneous information and mentioned Intel
"IBM&Intel push copy protection into ordinary disk drives".  I have alerted
public relations at Intel and are disseminating accurate information within
Intel and among our industry contacts.

        Pat.

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/