Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: more on Thought crimes or better the joint plans of disk drive manufacturers and content providers to provide copy protection based on cryptographic means embedded within the drive technology

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Mon, 25 Dec 2000 19:24:21 -0500

Date: Mon, 25 Dec 2000 15:32:17 -0800
To: "Jonathan S. Shapiro" <shap () eros-os org>
From: "Mark S. Miller" <markm () caplet com>
Subject: Re: Thought crimes
Cc: <farber () cis upenn edu>, <ip-sub-1 () majordomo pobox com>, <fsb () crynwr com>,
   "Marc Stiegler" <marcs () skyhunter com>

At 09:07 AM Monday 12/25/00, Jonathan S. Shapiro wrote:
Copyright has two purposes: (1) to allow an author to gain compensation for
a work, and (2) to ensure that after an appropriate amount of time the work
becomes public domain. As we think about the implications of cryptographic
disk drives, it is important to remember that these technologies only
address *half* of copyright. They allow a distributor to ensure that a
copyrighted work is more difficult to steal. Unfortunately, by their very
success, they ensure that the work will never be released as a public good.
Cryptographic disk drives do not preserve copyright. They enforce something
much much stronger.

Because the descriptive and the normative -- "is" and "ought" -- are so
rarely separated, I need to make it clear that, if I could wave a magic wand
and have copyright, narrowly interpreted, continue to be enforceable in ways
that serve both of these purposes, I would.  This note explains why I don't
think there is such a magic wand.  I am not against copyright.  I am just
against tilting at windmills.

Jonathan's paragraph above assumes that copy protection is possible, and
that it is possible for these disks (or other means) to succeed at their
purpose.  For most of the media people are trying to protect, which we call
"self revealing media", this is simply false.  Books, movies, music, and
such are all self revealing media -- the only way their information content
delivers value to the customer is by revealing this information to the
customer.  Unless someone knows of a way from the player to distinguish an
eyeball from a camera, then all hope is lost.  (Assume attempts to recognize
this difference would result in cameras embedded in eyeballs.)  So if these
disk drives and the hype surrounding them lull content owners into thinking
that purpose #1 will be served, purpose #2 will instead be served in hours
or days rather than years.  Of course, after enough iterations of this,
content owners will wise up or die.

See "The Street Performer Protocol and Digital Copyrights" by John Kelsey
and Bruce Schneier http://www.firstmonday.dk/issues/issue4_6/kelsey/ for
more on why such copy protection is impossible, as well some ideas for
addressing issue number #1 in the face of this.

By contrast, programs and processes are examples of the other important
media category, "behavioral media".  Behavioral media delivers value to the
customer by interacting with the customer.  Each time, the interaction's
value derives from the value of the information which is the media's
content, but the information revealed by the interaction is generally not
adequate to reverse engineer the media's content.  For example, if you play
chess or a video game, or use a symbolic algebra package, and you record all
the information passing between you and the program with full fidelity, this
doesn't help much in recreating the program itself.

Of course, you can proxy interactions from others to the program itself --
be a man in the middle -- but if the program charges per-use and not
per-copy, then the program owner's revenue isn't in the least threatened.
This model, and how to accomplish it securely is explained at
http://www.agorics.com/agoricpapers/aos/aos.6.html .  (Although I've said
publicly that I no longer advocate opaque boxes, my advocacy and preferences
are besides the point of this note.  Here we need to understand only
technological possibility and inevitability.)  For this kind of media,
protected through these measures, there's no way to ensure purpose #2: The
content is protected through an analog of trade-secret rather than copyright
or patent.  There is no means to enforce the eventual revelation of this
content to the public.

The irony of the above contrast is that while the purveyors of the
protectable kind of media, the software industry, has made enormous strides
in learning to live post-copyright, in the exploration of open source
business models, the industries on whose neck the axe is rapidly falling
know of nothing to do but panic.  As they see no alternative to defending
copyright, and as they are sitting on many many billions of dollars of
accounting value in copyrighted works, it seems the only ethical thing they
can do to serve the interests of their stockholders is to spend billions on
anyone, like InterTrust or IBM's funny disks, that promise the hope of
throwing some friction in the path of the inevitable.  They may even be
right -- the delay bought by this friction may actually be worth the money
spent on it.  For now.

At some point, when billions of dollars only buys additional hours of
friction, they will need to start thinking about non-copyright-based
business models, perhaps along the lines of Street Performer, or perhaps
along the of the open source models the software industry is pursuing.  In
the meantime, the money being spent on the impossible has diverted and
distracted a huge amount of computer security professionals from pursuit of
the achievable.

Fortunately, it is possible to divide up the "Digital Rights Management"
(DRM) issue into two parts, the achievable and the impossible.  The sinking
dinosaurs, by funding the creation of DRM systems, also effectively fund the
parts of the technology that will be useful in other contexts.  If people
are interested, I can explain a way to partition DRM to achieve this.
The "dinosaur" reference isn't a value judgement -- I also feel sorry for
those dinosaurs.  But though the dinosaurs died, during the transition their
rotting flesh may have helped feed the early mammals.  (Actually, I have no
idea.  But it is a vivid image.)

The content manufacturers and the disk drive makers are formulating a new
contract with the viewing public.

This is indeed a Smart Contract, in the sense that Nick Szabo and the E
project use the term -- it's a contract "written" in the behavior of an
automated enforcement mechanism.  However, a key component of contracts is
enforceability.  Only once we understand what terms are enforceable in this
new medium will we understand what kinds of contract we can successfully
write.

If the content providers have concluded that
copyright provides inadequate protection, they are certainly free to devise
other means. However, they should not be simultaneously entitled to claim
the benefit of copyright for their works.

To address this, we must first resolve a terminological ambiguity: Would you
say that technologically enforced copy protection is really just "copyright"
in a new medium, or is it "other means"?  If content owners only engage in
technological means without legacy-legal backing, are they "claiming the
benefits of copyright" or giving up on those benefits?

Given the trans-jurisdictional nature of the Internet and the identity
hiding power of crypto and mix-networks, when the law goes against the logic
of technological enforceability, it will still be able to prohibit, but no
longer to inhibit.

        Cheers,
        --MarkM

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/