Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Tokyo Diary #2

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 11:01:33 -0500

In diary entry 1 I told of my trip to the Akihabara. On Sunday I went to
the area that focuses on cameras near , if my memory is right, Shibya
Station of JR. . It was just as wild in a smaller way as the Akihabara.
Lots of digital camera including a new small Sony with 3.3 mega pixels.
Problem is storage . It uses a 64 meg Sony memory card which just cannot
store all that many high resolution photos. But it was smallish.

Monday I went to the Keio University Conference at their Center of
Excellence in the Mita Campus in downtown Tokyo. Neat new building!! with
several neat meeting rooms with displays everywhere (large panels). The
conference was very worthwhile with a good representation from around the
world and Japan.  Lots of talk re the impact of the net on education etc.
Great receptions and lunches !!

One of the evenings I cut the reception and went to Fuijitsu's Research
Labs for a meeting and a French dinner  with senior people re their
American Labs plans. Good people (and good food).

Met with a senior MITI person scheduled for 1/2 hr and went 1 and 1/2 hr.
Talked about the reorganization of MPT and MITI and what Japan plans to do
to gain leadership in networking away from the USA.  Much of this plan can
be inferred by carefully reading the IT Strategy Councils "A Strategy for
Developing a National IT Infrastructure". Seems conversion to IPv6 is
included in such a strategy.

My last night in Tokyo, I joined the Keio people at a Fugu dinner near the
Mita camps. I had forgotten how hard it is to sit on the floor and eat
(actually harder to get up. I survived the dinner however.

On my final day in Tokyo I gave a briefing for Senior Industrial people
sponsored by Glocom. It is hard to give a talk with sequential translations
but it went well.

That evening I left Narita (on time) for the flight to SFO.

It was marvelous to get back to Japan and I hope to get there soon again.

Dave

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/