Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Frezza: The Internet Vs. Tyranny, and Other Parting Thoughts

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2000 08:31:57 -0800

From: "R. A. Hettinga" <rah () shipwright com>

Wherein Bill Frezza, my only reason for an InternetWeek subscription, signs
off.

So long, Bill, and thanks for all the fish...

:-).

Cheers,
RAH

At 10:08 PM -0700 on 12/6/00, InternetWeek Newsletter wrote:

Opinion: The Internet Vs. Tyranny, And Other Parting Thoughts

Writing a regular opinion column is an invigorating tonic, a deadline-
disciplined interlude of forced reflection, providing an opportunity
to follow where the muse might lead. With this column, I have tried
to examine the broader impact of Internet technology on business,
public policy and society. My approach has been rooted in the firm
belief that ideas matter and that fundamental principles worked out
long ago can be applied to novel situations to guide us toward
discovering not only what might be but what ought to be.

Working against the backdrop of a society that has deeply embraced
moral relativism has provided ample opportunity to lay bare the
hypocrisy that permeates both the business and political leadership
of our day. Judging by the mail I've received from so many readers
over the years, this has delighted some and infuriated others, which
was exactly my objective.

Our industry, the telecommunications industry, and its newborn wonder
child the Internet, are shaking up the world like no revolution
before. Of course there are historical developments that had greater
impact. But none has affected so many people over such a brief
period. And, thanks to the acceleration of events brought about by
the Internet itself, we are all in a position to see the results of
the choices we make, unlike our predecessors who played largely to
posterity.

Most encouraging, the power to innovate is decentralizing, with the
rewards for success so unabashedly disproportionate that
extraordinary efforts are being called forth from people who might
otherwise be content to lead ordinary lives. Progress has always come
from the motivated few over the objections of the complacent many.
The way these few are treated determines the future. The most
profound contribution of the American experiment to human happiness
is that we have freed the basic impulse for improvement from the
tyranny of hidebound culture. The Internet has become both the source
and the conduit to export our culture of success to the rest of the
planet, smashing ancient chauvinism by exposing one and all to the
Darwinian hurricane.

Capital has been pried from the grip of those whose main objective
was to preserve it, set loose in a global arena seeking market-driven
returns. Talent has been released from the prison of place to make
contributions far beyond the reach of local customs and constraints.
The price to access knowledge has dropped so precipitously that
anyone can stand on the shoulders of everyone, scaling heights that
would otherwise take lifetimes to achieve. The cost of failure has
been reduced to such acceptable levels that this marvelous teacher
can instruct without maiming, making its students stronger as they
prepare for the next challenge. Coercive force wielded by prince or
mob is receding toward impotency, unable to have its way as the prime
productive asset becomes the power of unfettered minds.

These are good things to remember as we head into a cyclical economic
downturn. Many will question the value of what has been created. The
reactionaries will preach ruin and the envious will gloat, claiming
the Internet bubble was an aberration. They are wrong. The
businesses, technologies and entrepreneurs that survive the cleansing
fires will form the foundation for the next round of growth. The
failures will be its fertilizer. This is as it should be. Unlike the
Roaring Twenties when the central government was powerful enough to
turn a recession into a protracted depression, today's government is
so palpably broken, careening headlong toward a chronic dysfunctional
state, that it can be discounted. Washington will remain a bleeding
tax on progress, but as a tapeworm rather than a cancer. The
innovators will outrun it, along with its European counterparts who
foolishly believe that coalescing into a single ministerial glob will
assure bureaucratic immortality.

Thank you, dear readers. It has been a great six years. This is my
last column, at least for the foreseeable future. The press of
business and the closing of our newest venture fund demands my full
attention. I am also deathly afraid that I am becoming a bore,
preaching the same themes in variations that can only be appreciated
by diehard free market capitalists--a misunderstood minority even in
the best of times. Hence until I retire, a good 10 years from now, my
harangues will have to be reserved for my poor dinner companions.

Happy thoughts for a happy future. Farewell, until we meet again.
--Bill Frezza

--
R. A. Hettinga <mailto: rah () ibuc com>

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/