Interesting People mailing list archives

Fwd: Re: IP: Univ of Mass says professor's racy Web site was "harrassment?"

From: David Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Sat, 8 Apr 2000 19:58:14 -0400

While I substantially disagree with Dave, I leave it to you all .. djf

Date: Sat, 08 Apr 2000 15:35:28 -0700
To: farber () cis upenn edu
From: Dave Crocker <dcrocker () brandenburg com>

At 06:20 PM 4/8/00 -0400, David Farber wrote:
Seems to me it only is "harassment" if you're forced to look at
it, and maybe not then.

Harassment is the creation of a charged environment.  The social
force creating by that charging impedes professional conduct.

This does not require that the target of the harassment be directly
present during the offensive behavior, since the target may well
suffer the results later.

Still, there's a long history of bogus "harassment" charges being
used to censor political speech:

And there is a long history of VALID harassment charges.

What is most significant about the articles afforded through this IP
posting is that we are given nowhere near enough information to form
meaningful opinions.  The articles are quite superficial.

Source material and principals are not available for comment.  So
what we get is the summary "there were objections to material and it
was removed".  The result is therefore really a Rorschach test for
the reader's own biases on the topic.

For example, keep in mind that the web pages were using university
resources and universities have always had SOME restrictions on the
use of their resources.

d/

=-=-=-=-=
Dave Crocker  <dcrocker () brandenburg com>
Brandenburg Consulting  <www.brandenburg.com>
Tel: +1.408.246.8253,  Fax: +1.408.273.6464
675 Spruce Drive,  Sunnyvale, CA 94086 USA