Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Spock was right

From: David Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 1999 17:47:48 -0400

From: "Grant Manheim" <gmanheim () attglobal net>
To: <Undisclosed.Recipients () out4 prserv net>
Subject: Spock was right
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 1999 10:55:49 -0700

October 3 1999

ANSWER TO THE MEANING OF THE UNIVERSE IS: SIX

Jonathan Leake

Science Editor

THE astronomer royal has boldly gone where few astrophysicists have
dared to go before. Sir Martin Rees has unveiled a new theory that
we live in a Star Trek-style cosmos in which our universe is just
one of millions existing in parallel - many of which could harbour
other forms of life.

In a new book, which has caused controversy even before publication,
he has also suggested that there is no such thing as empty space;
that our universe could exist in a bubble destined to be crushed by
the implosion of a much larger universe surrounding it; and that
future civilisations could find a way of creating miniature black
holes, within which entirely new universes could grow. He also hints
at universes populated only by insects.

Rees, professor of astronomy at Cambridge University, is
internationally renowned, but is generally seen as conservative. His
book shows this is a mistake. "I know not everyone will agree with
my ideas," he said this weekend, "but a lot of people will talk
about them."

Even the title of his book, Just Six Numbers, is provocative. It
claims the essence of the universe is determined by six constants -
all of which have to be right to allow a universe in which life was
possible.

The numbers include the relative strength of the forces binding
atoms compared to that of gravity. If gravity had been even a
fraction stronger, he argues, our universe would probably have
lasted a short time before imploding. If life had evolved in that
time, it would have been restricted to the size and shape of
insects, the only organisms able to withstand high gravity.

In a profession in which suggestions that the universe may owe its
existence to a benign creator are often treated with derision, Rees
also notes that the fact that all six numbers

are so "finely tuned" may be the first real evidence collected by
astronomers for the existence of God.

He is, however, careful not to go too far down that road, preferring
an alternative, but equally controversial, suggestion that there is
an infinity of other universes, most of which are sterile. More are
being continually created, he suggests.

According to this theory, the huge number of universes created meant
that sooner or later one of them would have the "six numbers" at
exactly the right values. He calls his new vision of the cosmos the
"multiverse".

He argues: "Our big bang may not have been the only one. Separate
universes may have cooled down differently, ending up governed by
different laws. This is a natural deduction for some (albeit
speculative) theories and opens up a new vision of the universe as
just one 'atom' among an infinite multiverse."

Dr Victor Clube, an astrophysicist at Oxford University, said Rees's
theories were merely a fashionable construct that would not stand
the test of time. "There is no evidence for other universes. He is
just using the theory as a way to explain our existence without
recourse to religion. But, without evidence, believing in other
universes is just as unscientific as believing in God."