Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: more on Israelis Crack RSA 512 Bit in Microseconds

From: David Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 1999 17:24:14 -0400

From: "Antoine Badel" <antoine () antoinebadel com>
To: <farber () cis upenn edu>

Dave,

Don't know much about the truth of the matter -- but I remember reading this
comment on Friday in ntk.net's newsletter:

        Okay, so it's easy to knock TIMES INTERFACE, but surely we
        can't have been the only ones who read their piece this week
        that claimed, almost in passing, that Israel's WEIZMANN
        INSTITUTE have built a "hand-held" quantum computing cracker
        that can break RSA-512 in less than a second. Woah. Let's
        just take a second to let that sink in. According to the
        Times' unquotable sources, that means strong crypto is a
        solved problem. Of course we're sceptical: sounds like the
        spooks have, in their excitement, heard about Shamir's
        TWINKLE prototype, got their photons tangled, and think
        they've found the holy grail: a quantum computing solution
        for *all* bit sizes. Perhaps the question is
        not, how the hell did this happen, but why are the spooks
        spreading this story now? Maybe they don't realise that the
        protection against TWINKLE is to just up the bit size a
        little bit?

Antoine Badel
The Wharton School
MBA Candidate, 2000