Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: a "scattered" telephone failure (may have been much more than the NYT reported)

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1999 09:16:12 -0500

http://www.nytimes.com/yr/mo/day/news/national/regional/nj-phone-interrupt.html

A Bell Atlantic equipment failure cut regular and emergency service to tens
of thousands of New Jersey customers Tuesday, and company officials were
unable to say when service would be fully restored. After the service
interruption started, 20 communities were switched to a backup system for
911 service.

The equipment failure began at 12:27 a.m. and caused scattered and sporadic
disruptions in Bergen, Essex, Union and Passaic Counties throughout the
day, said Soraya Rodriguez, a Bell Atlantic spokeswoman. She said that by
3:30 a.m., all 911 systems had been switched to backup.

[and a quote to make history -- funny definition of relaibility. When I was
designing telephone stuff we most likely would have heard a big yell from
195 over this type of failure djf]

Ms. Rodriguez insisted that Bell Atlantic's system was reliable. "We have
all the confidence in our networks," she said. "Unfortunately, things do
happen."