Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: a bit more on REMINDS ME OF THE New Information Order -- UN summit in Paris next week on Internet taxing & regulation

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 1999 08:45:12 -0500

Date: Sat, 27 Nov 1999 10:39:09 -0500
To: farber () cis upenn edu
From: Will Rodger <rodger () att net>

Date: Thu, 25 Nov 1999 13:21:34 -0500
To: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
From: George Sadowsky <George.Sadowsky () nyu edu>

As one who has watched UNESCO closely and visited both from a vantage
point within the UN system and outside of it, UNESCO has been nearly
bankrupt both financially and intellectually (and some might also argue
morally) for quite a few years now. It's a rotten shame, given that most
of us value what they _should_ stand for, Education, Science and Culture,
very highly indeed.

Let's not forget that some of the most vocal opponents to ICANN are now
suggesting the UN get involved with domains, too. Whatever weaknesses
ICANN may have, it hardly seems this international organization is where
we want to put our trust when it comes to free speech.

Or to paraphrase one FCC official : "the UN is exactly where we don't want
this handled."

Will