Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: flunking drafting

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 17:20:14 -0400

Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 17:12:03 -0400
To: farber () cis upenn edu
From: "Lance J. Hoffman" <hoffman () SEAS GWU EDU>
Subject: flunking drafting

        Reading your story, Dave, I wonder how many of us got into computers as a
result of being good in math but hopelessly unable to do drafting.  I
recall that we *had* to take Engineering Drawing at Carnegie Institute of
Technology, now Carnegie Mellon, and I was doing miserably, since not only
could I not draw, I could not visualize anything in 3-space (let alone
N-space).  In addition, the course was taught by a professor who
interjected sermons from a local radio show he had on the weekends.
        Somebody took me aside and said that they were trying to populate a new
course, would I take it?  I told them I would take *anything* to get out of
drafting.  Thus I was introduced to Alan J. Perlis and his great group at
Carnegie and learned how to sleep behind the computer until the bell rang,
signifying the end of one job and, thus, time for me to load punchcards
into the hopper for the next.  This was, ahem, before the days of "batch
processing".
        Drafting.  If we had the tools and software then that we have now, we
might have been in totally different careers.

Lance

(you may share with IP if you wish)

Lance J. Hoffman, Director, Cyberspace Policy Institute
and Professor, Dept. of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, The
George Washington University, Washington DC 20052.  Phone (202) 994-5513
Fax (202) 994-5505.  http://www.seas.gwu.edu/seas/institutes/cpi/