Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: NEW GLOBAL STUDY EXPLORES GOVERNANCE, DIGITAL ECONOMY

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Sat, 22 May 1999 04:45:30 -0400

IBM, Electronic Data Systems, and Hewlett-Packard have announced
that they will sponsor the $4 million "Governance in the Digital
Economy" study. The tech vendors, along with key governmental
agencies, will examine the role of the Internet in governmental
processes and procedures, as well as larger issues involving the
Internet and democratic institutions and societies. The study
will be directed by Don Tapscott, an independent consultant
Vice President Al Gore has called a leading cyber guru.
Tapscott says, "There is a historical relationship between the
distribution of knowledge and the distribution of power. I
think the state may change quite radically." IBM Institute
for Electronic Government director Janet Caldow says it is
important for vendors to understand how technology affects
government, from the perspective of government users. EDS senior
vice president Louis Matrone says, "Many of the issues we face
are not just technical, but also organizational, legal, and
process related. We're focused on the transformation of
government." (Washington Technology 05/10/99)