Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: NY Times - Internet Board Asked to Slow Down Policy Vote

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 12:22:32 -0400

[ Note from djf: the petition points out clearly that the Interum Board was not formed to make such major decisions
but  rather to create the real ICANN which could and would but also be represenative rather than appointed by some
magic method. Esthers quote if accurate seems to be in direct conflict with the charter of the Interum Board]

Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 12:04:38 -0400
From: "Nick Lordi" <nlj () research telcordia com>

Hi Dave,

FYI the attached article from the NY Times "Internet Board Asked to
Slow Down Policy Vote" refers to the petition.
The article is at:

 http://www.nytimes.com/library/tech/99/05/cyber/articles/18capital.html

It would have been nice, however, if the article cited the URL for the
petition, and/or gotten a quote from some of those who signed the
petition.  The ICANN process of burying comments in a threaded list
also makes it difficult to find the petition at ICANN's web site.
FWIW, two URLs to the petition are:

 http://www.icann.org/comments-mail/comment-ip/msg00020.html
 http://www.domainhandbook.com/petition-0599.html

And thank you for signing the petition :-)

Nick

--
Nick Lordi

- -----------

          May 18, 1999

          By JERI CLAUSING  [Bio]

          Internet Board Asked to Slow Down Policy
          Vote

[W] ASHINGTON -- As the Internet's new governing organization prepares for its third board meeting, a looming question
remains over whether it will adopt controversial new rules to combat cybersquatting and resolve domain name disputes.

"We don't know what we're   ------------- going to do," Esther Dyson, interim chairman of  Governance the Internet
Corporation    [*] for Assigned Names and Numbers, said Monday.

"Honestly, we're paying attention to people telling us to do nothing, and we're paying attention to people telling us
to do something. We're waiting to hear all the public comments before we decide what to do."

Last week, a group of noted Internet technologists, lawyers, policy analysts and service providers submitted a
petition to the ICANN board, asking that they not rush to adopt the recommendations in a report from the World
Intellectual Property Organization, an arm of the United Nations.