Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: A response from Purdue on Good question NSA TAPS UNIVERSITIES FOR INFO SECURITY STUDIES -- from Edupage

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 17:23:21 -0400

Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 16:15:31 -0500
From: spaf () cs purdue edu (Gene Spafford)

As director of the CERIAS at Purdue, the focus of infosec work here, I'll
respond.

Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 11:03:01 -0700
To: farber () cis upenn edu
From: Jim Warren <jwarren () well com>
Subject: Re: IP: NSA TAPS UNIVERSITIES FOR INFO SECURITY STUDIES  -- from
  Edupage

The National Security Agency ... says the
centers will become "focal points for recruiting, and may create
a climate to encourage independent research in information
assurance." The seven universities--James Madison, George Mason,
Idaho State, Iowa State, Purdue, Idaho, and the University of
California at Davis--will be formally named at an IBM information
security systems conference on May 25-29. (EE Times Online 05/12/99)

But one of the most important questions is -- will those institutions
vigorously pursue public research sharing and enforce open publication of
their research results?  Or will they just grab the NSA money and
obediently trash the most fundamental principle of academic freedom?

First of all, this designation by NSA/DoD has no money associated with it, so any greed we might be accused of is not
a factor here. :-)

Purdue does not conducted any classified research: we have no facilities to do it, and no particular interest.  In
infosec in particular, with 3/4 of our CS grad students non-citizens (and perhaps 1/2 of our faculty likewise), this
would be very difficulty to do.

Purdue is a public, land-grant institution committed to research in the public good.  Standard policy is to publish
our results.  Historically, Purdue has been at the forefront of making scientific research public.  I have (once) been
involved in the process of holding back a thesis for a few months and it is onerous to accomplish -- the university
system does not support it.

The CERIAS is supported by 16 commerical entities and the university itself.  All have equal stake in what we do, and
our goal is to share information with them.   We explicitly state that we do not perform proprietary research -- that
is contrary to our mission.

There is also the factor that I am the director of the CERIAS (and the campus Information Systems Security Officer).
My career has been devoted to making security information and research public, whether in my books or articles, or
embodied in our software (starting with COPS, and our most recent work in public vulnerability database sharing --
which, by the way, was funded by NSA.).  The only times I have not published information is when publication would
result in immediate risk to others -- I am not an advocate of full disclosure until after fixes have been made
available -- but even then, I eventually published after fixes were available.

Also, I doubt that anyone who knows me would consider me "obedient." :-)

If yu don't trust the institutions or people involved, it doesn't matter what we say.  And in the end, security
(infosec or otherwise) is all about trust.  Draw your own conclusions.

--spaf