Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Believe it or not as you will -- Yugoslavia may lose some Internet access -- AND WORSE!

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 17:38:09 -0400

Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 14:22:56 -0700
To: farber () cis upenn edu
From: Jim Warren <jwarren () well com>
Subject: Re: IP: Yugoslavia may lose some Internet access -- AND WORSE!

WASHINGTON (AP) - Parts of Yugoslavia could lose Internet access
because an American satellite company might be ordered to stop
transmitting into the country under a U.S. trade embargo. ...

Dave (and IPers) --

A good friend of mine in San Francisco, receives email from and speaks,
daily, with her 85-year-old mother -- a retired journalist -- who still
lives in Belgrade, Yugoslovia.  (Note: Until we began bombing Belgrade, its
citizens were so anti-Milosovic that their elected representative was in
one of Milosovic's ardent opponents.)

She has told me that her mother and many other Yugoslavs and Serbs daily
receive TV news broadcasts, "just as reliable as, I guess, the US media is,
except it's considerably more informational (they have a chance to see CNN,
BBC, NATO briefings, Russian, Italian, German TV, mostly through Sky, hear
radio stations from the entire Europe as well as "Radio Free Europe" and
"Voice of America" NATO governments' stations)."

Apparently they receive much of ther TV news that is NOT controlled by
Milosovic  via satellite systems -- comparable to the low-cost, consumer
DBS systems [direct-broadcast satellite] we have in the U.S.

One must surely wonder about the techno-geriatrics who are "guiding"(?) our
latest [undeclared] war.  Or maybe they're just trying to finally make
true, their FALSE daily propaganda about how the Serb people only hear
Milosovic propaganda.

For her mother's VERY independent first-person reports from Belgrade, check
out www.keepfaith.com .

--jim, Jim Warren, jwarren () well com, GovAccess list-owner/[im]moderator/janitor
345 Swett Rd, Woodside CA 94062; 650-851-7075; fax-for-the-quaint/650-851-2814
-
To add or drop GovAccess, email to  Majordomo () well com  ('Subject' ignored)
with message:  [un]subscribe GovAccess YourEmailAddress (insert your eaddr)
For brief description of GovAccess, send MajorDomo the msg:  info GovAccess