Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: U.S. State Dept. on Internet Embargo

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 16:41:36 -0400

Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 16:33:34 -0400
To: farber () cis upenn edu
From: Ari Schwartz <ari () cdt org>
Subject: Fwd: U.S. State Dept. on Internet Embargo

¶   RUBIN: It is no longer going to be muddy when I'm finished with you.
¶   QUESTION: Good. Good. And I may have a follow up depending on what your
answer is.
¶   RUBIN: We are aware of press reports that the executive order passed two
weeks ago limits Internet access to the population of the Federal Republic
of Yugoslavia, and there is no truth to allegations that we are attempting
to cut off the flow of information to Serbia.
¶   While the executive order proscribes commerce with the Federal Republic
of Yugoslavia -- that is proscribes -- in a range of areas, information and
access to information are exempted from such sanctions. In fact, full and
open access to the Internet can only help the Serbian people know the ugly
truth about the atrocities and crimes against humanity being perpetrated in
Kosovo by the Milosevic regime.
¶   The Serbian people deserve to access independent and objective
information, whether by the Internet or other media. We encourage the people
of Serbia to use the Internet and other open media to challenge the
misinformation they are receiving from the Milosevic press within the
Federal Republic of Yugoslavia.

------------------------------------
Ari Schwartz
Policy Analyst