Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Why a US law against spam is futile, and a bad idea

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Wed, 05 May 1999 16:01:03 -0400

Date: Wed, 05 May 1999 09:54:07 -0400
From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>

There is a "junk fax" law on the books in the US. A British firm has
circumvented this and is busily sending junk faxes to some 3,000,000 US faxes
because, well, the company isn't based in the US. Snickers the firm: "We're
covered by European laws."

Special interest groups have lobbied for a US law restricting spam. Given the
much lower cost of sending email compared to a telephone call, I suspect the
most likely effect would be simply to force spammers offshore. Such a law
might
even have two negative effects: Provide Americans with a false sense of
security and thus hinder the development of technological countermeasures, and
push spammers towards judgment-proof havens that would make fraudulent spam a
more attractive option.

Of course you could have every country in the world pass a law against spam,
but the odds of that happening anytime soon seem to be remote, and global
governance structures have their own problems.

The article:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/WPlate/1999-05/05/108l-050599-idx.html

Also in the Washington Post on the Network Solutions antitrust investigation:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/business/daily/may99/nsi5.htm

-Declan