Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: ICANN/NSI and The End of Net As We Know It

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1999 19:37:42 -0400

Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1999 17:30:52 -0500
To: farber () cis upenn edu
From: Randy Sparkman <rsparkman () att net>
Subject: ICANN/NSI and The End of Net As We Know It

I'm not sure that Clay Shirky says anything particularly new about ICANN
and Network Solutions in today's Feed Magazine "Daily". But his statement
that "the internet is being inexorably privatized, and ... invites death by
nostalgia" does provide a cause to pause. Ten years from now, will the end
of the century be  viewed nostalgically as a digital golden age of (mostly)
unregulated, unlimited, egalitarian and open Internet access and content
provision?

He writes:

"What makes the situation even worse is that the mythic indestructibility
of the internet has lulled net users into a sense of complacency. We still
can't grasp that a network which could survive a nuclear attack may yet be
crippled by politics."

It's at:

http://www.feedmag.com/daily/dy072999_master.html

-- Randy Sparkman