Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Janet Reno calls for a ban on Internet encryption

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1999 04:25:40 -0400

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>

Janet Reno's proposal would bar downloads of even current versions of Internet
Explorer, Netscape Navigator, or PGP. It would also no longer let students and
academics collaborate. For instance, an undergraduate at Carnegie Mellon
University yesterday released crypto-enabled IM software and is
distributing it
online -- and would be a criminal if Janet Reno gets her way:
  http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/~bucy/IM

Even if we stipulate that Reno's objective is a worthy one, it surely makes
sense to weigh the cost of regulation against its benefits (as Chicago law
prof. Richard Epstein said in his testimony before a Senate subcommittee last
year). In this case, it seems, the cost is real, and the benefit ephemeral.

-Declan