Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Some more on lotto

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 14:44:41 -0500

From: Peter Jensen <magical () netaxs com>
To: "Dave Farber" <farber () cis upenn edu>

They probably bought an insurance policy from Lloyds for a couple of
thousand bucks. Nobody is going to be able to correctly guess a 16-digit
number.

Dave -

With all due respect, they are not entirely correct.  While the
possibility of correctly guessing a 16 digit number is remote, the
insurance policy was not cheap at all, and in fact required the two
largest underwriters (SCA and American Specialty Underwriters) who
normally are competitors, to jointly underwrite the policy.  In addition,
the costs of bonding this promotion in the state of New York alone is
$30,000.  I assure you, this has been very expensive to set up and
insure.  The high cost of the insurance policy is based on the belief of
the underwriters that the sheer expected volume of players makes it
likely that at least the $2,000,000 prize level will, in fact, be
awarded.  This, of course, doesn't even consider the costs of programming
and hosting (at a T-3) to handle the traffic, or the new Sparc purchased
to handle this promotion.

One thing to remember, Dave, is that, unlike a lottery, where you must
pay money to have a multi-million-to-one shot of winning, here you don't
have to pay a dime.  In addition, we have paid hundreds of thousands of
dollars in prizes this year, alone, and have set this promotion up so
that prizes won will absolutely be awarded.  Unlike many so-called
promotions seen today on the web, we have gone to considerable trouble
and expense to insure that this is solid and that if someone wins, they
will be paid.

While we might reasonably debate the whole business of promotion and its
implication, it is certainly huge.  In the retail world, promotion in
1998 was a 70+ Billion business, and it is certainly coming to the Web.
I have indeed seen our own online business expand to include most of the
major e-commerce companies on the Web.  Microsoft, Yahoo!, Lycos, Ford,
and many others are coming to us to create online promotions to help
build their businesses.  Certainly none of our partners in this promotion
would have joined had they not believed this would vastly increase their
traffic, which it certainly will do.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.  You can find a lot
about us at:

http://realtimemedia.com

As always, my kind regards, and thanks for the wonderful work you are
doing.

Peter Jensen
President
RealTIME Media Inc.