Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Norway has lost it

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 12:43:33 -0500

I guess in Norway if I broke into your home (using a picklock -- no damage) and wandered about, I should not have
broken any law. I doubt that is true and yet it is the same. How do I know if any damage was done especially the pick
up on information . They have lost it.

Dave

IF AT FIRST YOU DON'T SUCCEED, BREAKING-IN'S NO CRIME IN NORWAY
The Supreme Court in Norway has ruled that it's not a crime to try to break
into someone else's computer system, because people should expect others to
try to invade their systems, and take measures to protect themselves. There
is a crime, ruled the court, only if the system is actually breached. The
case developed out of an attempt by a computer security company to break
into the University of Oslo's computers through the Internet, to contribute
to a feature story by the Norwegian state broadcasting network. Apparently
the security company mapped holes in the university's computer security, but
did not break in, tamper with, or steal any information. (USA Today 13 Jan 99)