Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: more on Porsche Files Lawsuit Against 130 Internet Domain Names

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 20:22:45 -0500

Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 20:18:13 -0500
From: Matt Murray <mattm () nassau cv net>

Mr. Farber:

I use the site http://www.porschelist.com which was served notice several
months
ago to cease and desist use the "porsche" name. The list has over 7000 Porsche
owners exchanging information (and lurking). Many subscribers submitted
requests
to Porsche Cars North America (PCNA) to allow the usage or come to reasonable
terms. The web master is still working on an amicable solution for PCNA and
Porschelist. I think they maybe close to some sort of an agreement with a
nominal fee paid. I have not spoken or seen a recent post updating the group as
to the current status. I do remember that the Porsche A.G. site as well as
PCNA's offices had many contacts for the members asking for relief.

I know that Porsche has been relatively aggressive in Protecting their trade
names for quite a few years now. They started after independent shops that used
Porsche in the name ("Bob's Expert Porsche Repair and Garage", etc.). They
moved
on to those that use the Porsche crest on parts and clothing. I guess they now
get press on their pursuit of domain names.

Personally, I snail mailed Fred Schwab at PCNA and e-mailed Porsche A.G. I own
and race a 968.