Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Are Pentagon computers compromised?

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 22:49:24 -0500

From: "Barnes, Anthony" <Barnesa () doim6 MONMOUTH ARMY MIL>
To: farber () cis upenn edu
Subject: Are Pentagon computers compromised?
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 09:13:00 -0500

     David,
        Thank you for the note on the NT vulnerability.  I need to verify
     the existence of the vulnerability, the article lacked those details.
     Until the government stop buying this type of software (i.e.
     precompiled, no source code) we will have to live with this type of
     problem.  I'm starting a laboratory here at Ft. Monmouth to test
     IPsec, IPver6, and open software (LINUX, and BSD) in a tactical
     environment.  I'd be happy to work with anyone at the university that
     is working on making these systems more reliable, robust, survivable,
     ... (you get the idea). I'm also reading the Trust in Cyberspace book,
     it's similar to the Computers at Risk book also from the National
     Research Council.

     Cheers,
        Tony Barnes