Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Mark Thomas + ECHELON?

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 04:50:43 -0500

Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 00:47:23 GMT
To: farber () cis upenn edu
From: Brian Randell <Brian.Randell () newcastle ac uk>
Subject: Re: Mark Thomas + ECHELON?

Background:

Mark Thomas is comedian/activist with a series on Channel 4 TV here in the
UK, who provides great amusement to viewers and studio audience by "taking
on" various individuals and organisations whose activities he finds
objectionable.

Earlier tonight he devoted a large proportion of his program to Menwith
Hill, the NSA listening post here in the UK within what is offically
described as an RAF facility.

Here is a message about this program, containing a link that I suggest you try.

Forwarded:

From: "Malcolm Hutty" <cacib () liberty org uk>

Can someone summerise / provide pointers to a transcript for us poor
souls who
do not receive channel4?

Yes, but I had to wait until after broadcast.

Mark Thomas went hot-air ballooning over Menwith Hill, as it
seems not to be restricted airspace. Also, if you are low on fuel it
is an "emergency landing", so you can land there as you have no
control over steering in a hot air balloon.

Anyway, he's running hot air balloon rides for the public.

For details of how to book a ride, and lots of stuff on "RAF"
Menwith Hill itself, see http://www.menwithhill.com/

Campaign Against Censorship       Say NO!                T: 0171 589 4500
of the Internet in Britain     to censorship             F: 0171 589 4522
Prince Consort Road                               E: cacib () liberty org uk
London SW7 2BE                        W: http://www.liberty.org.uk/cacib/

Cheers

Brian Randell

Dept. of Computing Science, University of Newcastle, Newcastle upon Tyne,
NE1 7RU, UK
EMAIL = Brian.Randell () newcastle ac uk   PHONE = +44 191 222 7923
FAX = +44 191 222 8232  URL = http://www.cs.ncl.ac.uk/~brian.randell/