Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: well he thought it was funny....AND SO DO I

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1999 18:34:06 -0500

Subject: well I thought it was funny.....
From: John Markoff <markoff () nyt com>

Saddam Hussein called President Clinton and said, "Bill, I had a  wonderful
dream last night.  I could see America, the whole country, and on
each house I saw a banner."

"What did it say on the banners?" Mr. Clinton asked.

Saddam replied, "LONG LIVE SADDAM HUSSEIN."

Mr.  Clinton responded, "You know, Saddam, I am really happy you called.
Last night I had a similar dream.  I could see all of Baghdad, and it was
more beautiful than ever.  It had been rebuilt completely, and on
each house flew an enormous banner."

"What did the banners say?" Saddam asked.

"I don't know," replied President Clinton, "I can't read Hebrew."