Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Requested -- ANONYMOUS POST -- Linux competes with Windows 98 -- not

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1999 17:53:05 -0500

From:
http://www.usatoday.com/life/cyber/tech/review/crg733.htm

OPINION

Linux: Windows competitor ... NOT!

Wanna learn Linux? How much time do you have?

By Will Rodger, USATODAY.com

Microsoft Group Vice President Paul Maritz seemed a
worried man when he took the stand in the Microsoft
trial last winter.

A specter, he said with dread, was haunting Microsoft.

Promoters of free software -- Open Source
revolutionaries -- were massing beneath the black and
white banner of Linux.

At the head of the mob was a bespectacled Finn named
Linus Torvalds. He, along with fellow revolutionaries
Eric Raymond, Larry Wall and Paul Vixie were exhorting
the masses to churn out free software

"It seems trite to say it, but it's almost as though the
village blacksmiths of the world can now build axles in
their back yard and assemble them together and compete
with General Motors," Maritz said then. "And that's
literally what is going on. We have … proof through the
Linux operating system."

Microsoft spent much of that trial trying to show that
Linux, like the hand-held Palm organizer and the fringe
Be operating system, is a "competitor" to Windows 98.
Microsoft needed to show that to avoid being labeled a
monopoly. But the strategy failed, and Microsoft now
seems all but certain to lose its case before Judge
Thomas Penfield Jackson.

The Redmondians lost their argument because Linux, in
fact, is remarkably difficult to use. I should know --
after several weekends of experimentation at home, I’ve
determined I’ll need to sit down and study hard to
achieve even minimal competence with the operating
system.

Small wonder Judge Thomas Penfield Jackson dismissed
Microsoft’s assertions that Linux and Windows 98 compete
for the same customers.

"The target is people who are very sophisticated with
computers," says Tim Scanlon, a Northern Virginia
computer consultant who has spent the last 15 years of
his life working on Unix computer systems. "By
definition this is someone who is not (an average) user."

My own experience has uncovered a host of problems that
Microsoft and Apple licked years ago. Since I added
Linux to a computer at home, I find I can’t make my
cable modem work because the device that connects it to
my PC won’t work with Linux. I can’t make my standard-
issue laser printer work because -- contrary to the
assertions of the point-and-click interface in the
configuration settings -- Linux does not know it is
there.

I have the same problems with my PC’s sound, since
the "sndconfig" program designed to handle that part of
the computer isn't working either. It's so not working,
in fact, it doesn't even have the good graces to give me
an error message when I try to start it up.

This, by the way, is a fairly common trait of Linux
software. Sophisticated programmers, after all, don't
want to spend time on things like warning messages when
there are so many more urgent matters to address.

Scanlon tells me my problems are pretty minor for
someone who knows what he's doing. A new circuit card to
hook up to my modem plus a few changes to some internal
configuration files should set things straight.

But even simple tasks like those are far beyond the
Linux neophyte.

To get my printer to work, I must first learn a powerful
yet hard to use word processor called the vi text
editor. Vi (pronounced vee-eye) is all command lines --
no menus, no point-and-click, just glowing letters on a
blank screen. Once I’ve figured out how to use that,
I’ll be able to write the short string of code the
printer needs to talk to the PC.

The documentation that came with the operating system
does give me a few tips on using text editors, but not
nearly enough to do what I need. For that, the manual
told me, I need other books that go into greater detail.

Running Linux from publisher O’Reilly & Associates tells
me a bit more about how to use text editors, but still
not enough to make me feel comfortable with the job. And
a third book, Teach yourself Linux in 24 hours, offered
a few more pointers, but only enough to make me
minimally competent.

None of this looks like anything I ever had to do with
Windows.

As difficult as the printer problem has been, I expect
hooking up that cable modem will go more smoothly.

When it does, I’ll be sure to write about it on my new
copy of StarOffice for Linux. Of course, I need to
install that, too. The accompanying documentation tells
me I should install the software just as I would any
other new package, but doesn’t offer any specifics I can
understand without a bit more research.

Of course, I’m still not worried.

I mean, how hard can it be?