Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: excellent write-up of the recent CANARIE Advanced Networks Workshop

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 1999 09:09:19 -0500

Date: Tue, 14 Dec 1999 22:37:00 +0900
To: farber () cis upenn edu
From: Adam Peake <ajp () glocom ac jp>

Date: Tue, 7 Dec 1999 09:44:25 -0500 (EST)
From: CAnet-3-NEWS () canarie ca
Subject: CANARIE Sings Lovely Song

For more information on this item please visit the CANARIE CA*net 3 Optical
Internet program web site at http://www.canet3.net

CANARIE SINGS LOVELY SONG
by David S. Isenberg for Metamarkets.com

The recent CANARIE Advanced Networks Workshop (Toronto, Nov. 29-30, 1999),
an annual event, drew participants from all over Canada plus networking
experts from around the world, notably Sweden, the Netherlands, and Korea,
with a smattering from a less developed southern country -- the United
States.

CANARIE stands for the Canadian Advanced Network for Research, Industry,
and Education. CANARIE is similar to Internet2 in the US, but industry
takes more active role.  And the Canadians have some apparently great
companies like Newbridge, JDS Uniphase, PMC Sierra, Teleglobe (I *think*
it's great; certainly it has huge connectivity on the great circle between
Europe and Asia), and even Nortel.

Also, unlike any other nethead meeting I've ever been to, school networks,
especially nets for the Kindergarten-12 grades, were significantly
represented.

The biggest impression I took away was this: It sure looks like Gigabit
Ethernet (GigE) over glass (and even 10 Gigabit Ethernet, though still in
the labs) is coming on like gangbusters.  GigE is following the classic
Clayton Christensen disruptive trajectory, rapidly improving in capability,
moving up-market from LAN to WAN to displace ATM and SONET, to become the
network architecture of choice.  The move to GigE seems to be coming first
in entirely new Internet-created companies, then it reaches newly networked
market segments (especially public institutions), then it slowly penetrates
older, already-networked sectors like telcos, banks, etc.

Since there are many more LANs than WANs, GigE, due to its Ethernet LAN
heritage, has huge economies of scale.  (Every flavor of Ethernet that has
hit the marketplace has slid down a 30% per year price reduction curve.)
GigE's use in both LAN and WAN gives greater scale yet.  Plus by erasing
the LAN/WAN boundary, GigE decreases the complexity of the network, making
it even stupider, easier to manage and easier to innovate upon.  So it
looks like the Stupid Network will be built of GigE over glass, and it
looks like CANARIE's CA*Net3 will be its first pure nationwide
instantiation.

Referring to the disappearance of the LAN/WAN distinction, Bjorn Roos, who
is building a 190 node, GigE "from core to closet" optical Internet for
Stockholm schools (using the Stokab municipal dark fiber infrastructure)
quipped, "I am sad to say I had to change my title. I used to be a WAN
manager but now I am a LAN manager again!"

But it looks like the big Canadian innovations are more regulatory than
technical, notwithstanding the huge progress in Internet over GigE over
glass. The CRTC (the Canadian FCC), in sharp contrast to the US FCC, has
ruled that Canadian Cable TV operators are common carriers, and ordered
them to open their head-ends to any ISP.  Then, when the cable guys didn't
do it, last September the CRTC slapped them with an order to re-sell
head-end access to all ISPs at a 25% discount!  That'll goose up Canadian
Internet competition!

In contrast, in the US, some industry advocates, including FCC Chairman
Bill Kennard, make dire predictions that open access to cable networks
(especially AT&T's) would chill investment in broadband infrastructure.
Poor AT&T needs its $120 Billion investment protected.  (I want the US
Government to protect my OpenFund investment, too -- it'd be in the public
interest, dontcha think? -- but I can't seem to hire enough lobbyists to
make my case.)

In Canada, open access is not discouraging investment in broadband nets,
not at all! The Canadians seem to understand the centrality of a broadband
communications infrastructure to their economy.  They are pushing towards
fiber everywhere with a national will.

Where there's a will, there's right of way.  Any Canadian public
institution -- schools, hospitals, cities, universities, churches, etc. --
can hang their own cables on telephone poles.  Lots of them are doing it.
As a result, there is already much fiber in Canada's neighborhoods, close
enough to where people live that fiber to the home will soon be common.

I should point out that there is significant neighborhood fiber activity in
the United States, but it is more spotty and isolated.  It does not have
the support of the telecom industry or the regulatory establishment, but it
is going on!  Spokane WA and Palo Alto CA are two good examples of the 47
US communities with municipal fiber and a civic understanding of how
broadband connectivity makes their economy vital.  Ken Poulton (Palo Alto
Fiber Network) and Dennis Schweikhardt (Spokane Public School District 81)
reported strong progress.

Telecom whistleblower Bruce Kushnick (who was not there, but is a good
friend of mine) says, "AT&T is Mother Theresa compared to the RBOCs." Lon
Berquist, of the University of Texas Telecommunications & Information
Policy Institute, reported that there are 6 US states that prohibit or
restrict municipal telecom.  These RBOC lap-dog states include Arkansas,
Florida, Missouri, Nevada, Texas and Virginia.  Shame, shame, shame, shame,
shame, shame.  If a city wants to run a sewer system, it can.  If a city
wants to manage its own streets, it can.  If a city wants to provide water,
power, garbage collection, etc., there is nothing that prevents it from
pursuing its own economic interests and defining the standards of municipal
service that its citizens should expect.

Please don't label me a Commie Symp for this opinion.  (I gave up when the
wall went down.)  I'm all for private enterprise where it creates open
markets and real competition.  Metromedia Fiber Networks is doing great
work to bring abundant dark fiber to US cities, but until we have a dozen
such companies, if small and mid-tier cities want their citizens to have
beef, they will have to rope and tie their own calf.

As we move into the age of networks, countries with good infrastructures
upon which they can build a vibrant, competitive networked marketplace,
like Canada and Sweden, will prosper.  The future will appear in these
places first.  Conference keynoter Peter Lothberg described the goal of
Sweden's national fiber initiative.  He said, "We never want to run into a
scenario where we'll be bandwidth limited again."

David I -- http://isen.com
-------

*--------------------isen.com----------------------*
David S. Isenberg              isen () isen com
isen.com, inc.         888-isen-com (inside US)
http://isen.com/               908-654-0772 (from abroad)

majordomo () canarie ca

In the body of the e-mail:

subscribe testnet