Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: status report on my Pilot VII

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Sun, 01 Aug 1999 20:19:59 -0400

I have had the Pilot VII for about one month now. I have used it on the east and west coast and in Chicago.  As a
reminder the Pilot VII has a RAM data modem built in. It is a bit longer than the III. The unit uses two AAA batteries
and has internally a NiH battery that runs the radio and is charged up by the 2 AAA. The battery life is extremely
impressive -- I have gotten a month on my batteries. When I got the unit I filled in the form on it, raised the antenna
and it self subscribed to the radio service. I took the $24 per month plan (there is NO unlimited plan (an error) that
gives me abouut 150 kbytes . I , even using it liberally , are within that budget.

I get priority email via and send email also. Nice email package  It has query apps that allow financial access to the
market, weather, airline schedules, traffic etc. The most useful for me is one that accesses United Airlines arrival
and departure data base. In all airports the displays are run by the airport and are often useless. I get the info an
agent could get for you if they tried. It has saved a lot of grief.

All in all, a very nice unit. Now if it only interfaced with my Nokia phone.

Dave