Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Littleton and the Race Issue

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 18:20:38 -0400

Unfortunately he has a point. djf

Date: 30 Apr 99 07:41:05 PDT
From: Bill Ardis <billardis () netscape net>
To: farber () cis upenn edu

Dave,
The Littleton killings provide a real insight into race and racism in the
United States. Listen to the tone of the national breast-beating and mea
culpas by most of the talking-head pundits and citizens: it is empathetic,
sorrowful, and the pronoun most often used is "we". "We" are somehow to blame,
these are "our" children, what have "we" done to create the culture of
violence (video games! movies! and The Internet, my God!!) which damages "our"
children. Rosie O'Donnell was very explicit on one of her appearances; in
shock and horror, she said, "...but -- these are OUR children!"

By contrast, when the gunslingers are black or minorities, the tone is VERY
different: it carries more than a hint of blame, of accusation and controlled
fury. These are no longer OUR children. If they are teenagers or younger,
there is little consideration of that fact; throw them to the wolves, try them
as adults, the hell with them!, is the tone. The sorrow and empathy are
missing; only the anger remains.

Of course, the WE who are speaking, pontificating, posturing....are 98% white.
Where race and violence are concerned, United States culture is still very
much an us-versus-them affair. Where is the empathy for elementary school kids
in the inner cities who've seen more than a few dead bodies in their streets
-- before they reach 11 years of age?? Are these not "our" children too?

Bill Ardis
bill.ardis () pobox com

Bill Ardis
bill.ardis () pobox com