Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Australian Internet Censorship [WAS:[Oz-ISP] censorship legislation out!]

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 09:01:29 -0400

Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 16:24:22 +1000 (EST)
From: Michael Taylor <mitaylor () cisco com>
To: farber () cis upenn edu

Hello,

My name is Mike Taylor,  I work for Cisco in Australia.

I have been seeing a lot of traffic on a local ISP list here (aussie-isp () aussie net) about Net censorship in
Australia.

It is of GRAVE concern to us down here, and I just wanted to pass this on to you (at the suggestion of one of my
collegues).

The Australian government has just legislated that ISPs are liable for 'undesireable' content that their users may see
on 'the internet'.

This is in spite of a report by the CSIRO (Govt. Science oragnisation) that technically it's impossible.

We have no constitution, being a Commonwealth country, not a republic, so it looks like we're screwed!!!!

There are links below to a couple of articles.

Best Regards,
Mike Taylor
Cisco Systems Australia