Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: ICANN -- New IANA

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 1998 15:03:44 -0400

From: requested anonymity
Subject: Re: ICANN
To: farber () cis upenn edu

Dave - one of the interesting ironies of the ICANN organizational
documents is that the added "protections" of the 4th and hopefully
consensus draft will clearly drive the Board in the direction of
a quasi-governmental body working at all times with counsel present
and giving advice/marching orders.  Ie, like the FCC we've all
said we wanted to avoid at all costs.  See, for instance, new
text in Art III section 4 on reconsideration, and section 3 (b)(ii)
on comments and reply comments.  Sounds suspiciously like the
process of our (un)favorite regulatory agency.

Yours in resisting entropy.

- Xxxxx