Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: The best of both worlds

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 1998 16:43:45 -0400

Date: Fri, 16 Oct 1998 13:34:58 -0700 (PDT)
From: "Ole J. Jacobsen" <ole () cisco com>

I was waiting for this to happen, and today I picked up a copy of Nikkei
Mac and there it was:

"Vaio Mac  -- honto!"

The October issue of this publication describes a software package called
FUSION which turns the Sony Vaio ultra-cool, ultra-light, ultra thin,
laptop into a PowerBook. The picture on page 133 is just to die for: the
MacOS startup screen on a Vaio.

I just got back from Tokyo and have not have time to check any of this out
yet but here are the URLs from the article:

www.microcode-solutions.com/

www.amulet.com.co.jp/

www.opentech.co.jp/

www.pascal.co.jp/

www.nikkeimac.com/

Needless to say, all of this is in Japanese, and I have no idea if FUSION
is available for the US version of MacOS, but hey, it's step in the right
direction. If you can get a Vaio to look like a Mac, what more can you
possibly ask for in life?

I will bring my copy of Nikkei Mac to the IETF in December for you all to
drool over.

Now, couldn't the guys in Cupertino go talk to Sony and make the real
thing with a PowerPC?

The Vaio is still the hottest selling laptop in Japan, although there are
many competing models now from all the major vendors.

Small is beautiful.

OK, time to get some sleep....

Ole

Ole J. Jacobsen               |       ||        ||        |
Editor and Publisher          |       ||        ||        |
The Internet Protocol Journal |      ||||      ||||       |
e-mail: ole () cisco com         |  C i s c o S y s t e m s  |