Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: A medical correctionDo you finally feel old (or a lot older)?

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 1998 17:55:30 -0500

From: "Robert J. Woolley" <wooll005 () tc umn edu>
To: farber () cis upenn edu
Subject: Re: IP: Do you finally feel old (or a lot older)?
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 1998 16:51:52 -0600

In message <4.1.19981112171619.00c0d9c0 () mail earthlink net>  writes:

They never had a Polio shot, and likely, do not know what it is.

I liked the list, except for this item. It's true that, for the most part,
oral
polio vaccines replaced injectable ones more than 30 years ago. However,
within
the last few years the preferred approach (as endorsed by the Centers for
Disease Control [I almost wrote just "CDC," but for your audience that might
bring to mind Control Data Corporation]) is to go back to the injectable
vaccine
for the first doses, followed later by the oral version.

This change is recent enough that the above item is still largely true for
current 18-year-olds. But it might be useful to let your readers know that the
injectable polio vaccine is making a comeback, so they shouldn't be
surprised to
see their children being given it.

Regards,

Robert J. Woolley, MD
University of Minnesota

Bob Woolley
St. Paul, Minnesota

"I'm tired of all this nonsense about beauty being only skin-deep.
That's deep enough. What do you want--an adorable pancreas?"

                                 -- Jean Kerr

David Farber
The Alfred Fitler Moore Professor of Telecommunication Systems
University of Pennsylvania
Home Page: http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~farber