Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: More on Multi-Teraflops machines

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 1998 16:14:28 -0500

From: "Chris Gulker" <gulker () apple com>
To: farber () cis upenn edu
Cc: agent () gulker com

Dave-

Re: teraflops

Might also be of interest: Avalon, Los Alamos' do-it-yourself Linux-based
machine is either the 144th or 88th fastest computer in the world (according
to different reports), for $300,000.

Pacific Blue is 80 times faster, but 300 times more expensive. It's probably
only a matter of time before a so-called Beowulf class computer hits a
teraflop. Beowulf, btw, is the name Caltech's Tom Sterling gives to his
architecture for do-it-yourself supercomputers like Avalon.

There are also Windows NT ("Wolfpack") and Mac OS supercomputers doing work
at places like FermiLab and the UCLA plasma physics dept. UCLA's math dept.
is reportedly planning a "very pretty supercomputer" (a "VPS"?) using the
RISC-based iMacs in their computer lab.

More info, links in my current fortnightly column "Do-it-yourself
Supercomputers"

    http://www.gulker.com/ra/supercomputer.html

Be interesting to see if the first home-brew teraflopper is a Net-connected
affair a la distributed.net or affair a la distributed.net or SETI@home...

Chris Gulker
cg () gulker com